Thursday, January 28, 2010

La troisieme semaine...

The third week...and all's well. I have moved into my permanent CHU here in Iraq. I was supposed to get a room alone, but I have a roommate now. Unexpected, but not all bad. It happens to be one of my good friends. We divided up the already small room into two smaller halves. They are about the size of a saltine cracker I suppose...but we are managing.

Last night I went to sleep around 2330hrs...or 11 o'clock for those civilians tuning in tonight. Anyways, around 1:30 in the morning there is a rumbling, ear blowing sound. BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!!! Anti rocket gunfire. It was so loud! I woke up with my heart pounding out of my chest! I listened closely for the sound of sirens signaling us to grab our gear and head to the bunkers. No sound...so slowly and reluctantly I fall back asleep. BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!!!!! Again I throw myself up in bed and can almost SEE my heart pounding through my t-shirt! My roommate Joe is not alarmed...I don't hear him stirring so I stay still...really still just listening for the sirens. No sirens. I awoke the next morning only to discover that this was just a test fire that the base had conducted. Why they decided to do it at night I'll probably never know. The problem was that no one knew about the test! Sweet dreams everyone!

I still haven't got my guitar from the containers we shipped over before we deployed. I am a little down without it. I probably could use some stress relief at this point and would love to play a few tunes. Oh well, the Army motto is: "Hurry up and wait" after all.

Thank you all for your prayers and emails. I appreciate them all!
-Jerm

1 comment:

  1. When you were small and afraid in bed, we would recite Psalms 56:3, "when I am afraid, I will trust in Thee." I would have to promise to come back and check on you, and probably leave the door cracked. I would come back later to find a sleeping boy and adjust the covers. I assume roomie would ridicule if I sent Teddy! Maybe ear plugs? Otherwise, find a Bible verse to concentrate on/memorize before going to bed! I do have new pillow cases for you, let me know if you want something specific ASAP. We have 6"+ snow over frozen rain - more on the way. Dad's home!
    Asking El-Shaddai to "check" on you, Mom/Dad

    ReplyDelete