Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just another day

Have you ever seen that episode of The Simpson's where there is a contaminated lake that everyone in town ignores? Well this lake actually produces crazy three-eyed fish and other monstrosities. Where am I going with this? We have a lake like this. Only ours is in between the chow hall and the sidewalk. Every time I walk to breakfast, lunch or dinner I pass it...gag a little and continue on. I almost stepped in it the other day because it was 104 degrees and blowing sand so hard I literally could not keep my eyes open...even with sunglasses on! Close call.

I haven't been traveling much these days which has been good...but somewhat boring. The 9 to 5 used to be something I wanted. However, these days I find that getting out and talking with people is what I love the most. I love waking up and not knowing where the day will go. In that respect, Iraq is good...you never know what will happen.

On a good note, I have been seeing my girls and growing hero more often. I have working Skype in my room now. At first it was somewhat unreliable, but it seems to be more steady now. I am so proud of all of them. They are true amazon women. lol! They do it all without me and make it look easy. I am truly blessed.

I received a harmonica in a care package from the Kennedy clan in Lubbock. Jeff and Sally knew just what I needed. I have been giving it the college try, but it turns out playing the harmonica is hard! I play guitar by ear, so reading music is beyond me right now. I have traveled around the world, learned foreign languages, spoken with politicians, generals and insurgents...but this harmonica is going to be the end of me.

Elections just passed here in Iraq. Everyone is on edge awaiting the results. Not unlike the U.S. There are talks of a recount already... remember Florida anyone? We will see what this new regime ushers in for this country. We will cut back gradually this year as you all know. However, I will not be cut back anytime soon. Although the President has put his foot down about leaving soon, we still have a lot of work to do over here. All of you should know that we have made a significant difference over here. Know that no matter what reason we came over here, we are definitely leaving it better than before. People have hope here now. They will have to work for it, but at least they have a choice now. Continue to pray for the U.S. troops and civilians here. Afghanistan is in the headlines, but Iraq is far from over. Stay behind us...all the way to the end.

-Jerm

No comments:

Post a Comment